Saturday, September 17, 2011

placing product

I'm in the middle of watching always interesting Morgan Spurlock's movie The Greatest Movie Ever Sold.   It's fascinating to me because, number one, I love movies.  And I love learning how people do things.  So ... a movie about people making movies is great for me.


Morgan Spurlock's idea is to sell advertising in a film to finance a film about advertising.  I was fascinated to learn that there are companies devoted to product placement.  What a big strange world it is.


Last week I watched another documentary Inside Job.  Here you go: From filmmaker Charles Ferguson comes this sobering, Oscar-winning documentary that presents in comprehensive yet cogent detail the pervasive and deep-rooted corruption that led to the global economic meltdown of 2008. Through unflinching interviews with key financial insiders, politicos, journalists and academics, Ferguson paints a galling portrait of an unfettered financial system run amok -- without accountability

I enjoyed watching it very much, but was depressed and a little frightened for days.  Even more worrisome thinking that the movie was made two years ago and we're still in a mess.

Oh, almost forgot -- I started this post because of the concept of product placement.  While watching the movie, and all the work they were doing thinking of ways to place products yet make it seem natural I remembered reading the children a ZooBook about monkeys the other day.  I pointed out "These are called spider monkeys and these are baboons and these are rhesus monkeys, etc etc"  

A little while later (we were probably talking about AB pattens by then)  young Dylan raised his hand and told us all, "Those rhesus monkeys make me think of Reeses Peanut Butter Cups.  

There we go -- I could have made some serious money if only that bit had gotten filmed for a hit movie!

No comments:

Post a Comment