Sunday, July 3, 2011

Anne Perry

Have been reading short stories, magazines and non-fiction recently; it's taken me a week to finish Anne Perry's Brunswick Gardens which is the 18th in a series, so I guess I need to read 16 more.  Not a problem as I did enjoy both I've read and they are easily found in the used book shops.

I think (unlike so many other people) I'm not reading a lot due to watching a ton of television.

I like her books primarily because I've always enjoyed British mysteries -- especially the period ones, based in small towns.  With vicars and fetes and quirky characters. (I read Agatha Christy steadily like drinking water when I was in my teens.) (And again, and again)  Perry's novels go beyond the murder mystery with her deep philosophical and psychological meanderings.  She makes me think & ponder; I also enjoy not thinking at all,  just reading what she has to say.


Here's a quote:
"Take each day at a time, cling onto the faith of your own worth and build on it, no matter how slowly or how little each step.  You cannot go backward.  Have the courage to go forward well.  At the end of each day, praise yourself for that, and then let go ... rest, and hope.  Never let go of hope."

I like that.  I might print it out and tape it to a mirror. 


As for what I've been watching on TV (you might be wondering) nothing special.  I like movies and have hooked up to Netflix via the Wii so there are many available.  A stream of film noire recently.  As far as shows -- I've begun Falling Skies which doesn't stink (yet) and I want to see what happens next.  And The Killing which does stink (it's become like a soap with long pauses and is slow slow slow) I'm only watching one more episode hoping that the final one of the series will solve this killing.  I like Raising Hope, Big Bang Theory and Memphis Blues.  I miss Terriers.

To blog about TV seems quite dull.  I'd better stop now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment