
I'm reading Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin. (and kind of wishing I had two middle initials)
It's great! It's the first of a series of 4 with one more (maybe) coming. big and thick and complicated, with generations, wars, intrigue, danger, castles and people to care about as well as people to hate. As well as very good prose and dialogue.
I'm having a blast. I like the depth of it, the tons of important characters with their multiple perspectives. The main important characters are well developed, have histories, and have serious flaws. No one is golden around here. I like that it's plot driven and that there's more than one plot.
I'm not a big fantasy fan -- or maybe I am. I don't know. I'm a neophyte. I loved all of King's Dark Tower series and I enjoyed the one Wheel of Time book I read. {Although I never read a second one} This one doesn't have a lot of magik in it which is fine by me.
Funny thing is my son has been reading the Martin series for years and I had even given him one, I think the third one,for his birthday a few years ago. This year he gave me the first one for Christmas.
Did I mention it's over 800 pages long? I'm extra special glad to be laid off for three weeks this year instead of only two.
No comments:
Post a Comment